Home » Fashion & Beauty » Wedding Hair » Choosing a Wedding Hairstyle to Suit You
Choosing a Wedding Hairstyle to Suit You
The perfect wedding hairstyle will enhance your face shape, suit your hair accessories, complement your style of dress and suit you as a person.
To help you choose your wedding hairstyle, you need to consider the following:
Different wedding hairstyles will suit different types of hair and face shape which may mean that your favourite style may be one to avoid. The shape of your face is a key factor in deciding what type of hairstyle to go for.
If your face is...
- ... Heart shaped (the distance between your temples is larger than the distance across your jaw line)
- Choose - side partings and gentle curls
- Avoid – long, sleek and straight styles
- ... Square (your face is as wide as it is long & your jaw line and forehead are similar width)
- Choose – curls and waves help to soften the face
- Avoid – long, sleek & straight styles
- ... Oval (your face is a similar width across your jaw line, between your temples and across your rounded forehead)
- Choose – pretty much any style will suit an oval face shape - especially anything that adds width and volume
- Avoid – anything that hides your face - especially heavy fringes.
- ... Round (your face is as wide as it is long)
- Choose – long sleek straight styles or any hairstyle with your hair taken away from the face. Round Face’s are also perfect for high wedding ‘updos’.
- Avoid – volume, curls and anything that adds width to your face
Any hair accessory should complement your wedding hairstyle and style of dress. Veils for example can be very heavy – especially if you choose a floor length veil - so bear this in mind when choosing a hairstyle.
- Veils look best with braided or tight-curled ‘Updo’ or half up and down. Your choice of hairstyle should work around the veil or be sturdy enough to withhold the weight if you opt for an ‘Updo’. Alternatively you may decide to wear your veil beneath the ‘Updo’.
- Tiaras look great with traditional, elegant ‘Updos’ or with hair swept into a detailed arrangement at the neckline.
- Flowers work well with loose tumbling curls, or a loose ‘Updo’.
- Embellished headbands look great with a sleek and chic ‘Updo’.
Style of your dress
Another important factor is the style of your wedding dress. The best wedding hairstyle will complement your dress rather than detracting from it.
- If you’re wearing a strapless, spaghetti or halter neck dress – traditional or contemporary ‘Updos’ will show off your neck and shoulders.
- If your choice of dress is very elaborate a simple style such as a chic & sleek ‘Updo’ will maintain the emphasis on the dress.
- Long, straight dresses look good with hair away from the face or in long tousled curls
Theme of your wedding
If you’re having an informal wedding, a long loose style works best. ‘Updos’ are more traditional at formal weddings