Home » Wedding Roles » Mother of the Bride
Mother of the Bride
The mother of the bride has always been very involved in the wedding arrangements but that now seems to be changing.
A mother of the bride assumes the role of hostess on the wedding day
Traditionally, the wedding reception, guest list, wedding stationery, transport and wedding flowers were all arranged by the mother of the bride. These days however, brides tend to take the main role in planning their wedding. Whilst there is still room for you to help with wedding planning, it may be best to let your daughter make the decisions but be there to offer your help and support when needed, as you always have.
Wedding planning can be time consuming and stressful. Your most important role as mother of the bride is that of supporting your daughter over the coming months and on the wedding day itself. Other responsibilities might be to:
- Help with wedding planning and arrangements where required
- Help the bride choose her wedding dress
- Assist in the guest list preparation
- Send out wedding invitations and keep track of replies
- Prepare a schedule of timings and ensure that key attendants each have a copy
- Provide ushers with any special seating arrangements for guests
- Assume the role of hostess
- Send wedding cake to any guests unable to attend
For more information and advice, see mother of the bride duties.